Thursday, April 15, 2010

Multitasking in Hereford...

The advantage of visiting a campaign is that, at a pinch, you can fulfil just about any role for a little while and, on arrival in Hereford, it turned out that there was a bit of leafletting to be done. Now whilst I may not be the fastest across the ground, I'm persistent, and so I was happy to get out into the afternoon sun and do a little to help Sarah Carr defend Hereford and South Herefordshire for the ravening hordes of Conservatives.

I was accompanied by Steph, whose husband, Chris, is a fellow member of the East of England Regional Executive. We're both old hands in campaigning terms, so we were able to get the job done with minimum fuss. I delivered one leaflet and, just as I was walking away, a man came out with the leaflet screwed up, telling me that he didn't want anything to do with the Tories. I pointed out quite politely that I wasn't an evil f**king Tory (his words, not mine), but a Liberal Democrat, which seemed to meet with approval. So much so indeed that he accepted a replacement leaflet (I had a spare).

Otherwise, it was a fairly easy delivery, and we were finished in time to get to the evening's focal point, the adoption meeting. With speeches from Paul Keetch, our outgoing MP, Ros and Chris Green, our former candidate on a number of occasions and now President of the Local Party, Sarah was in good company. And, as it turned out, good heart too, as she gave a powerful speech, rallying the troops for the campaign ahead. There was beer from the Wye Valley Brewery, which I thought I had earned, and so I stood at the back, pint in hand.

My journeying wasn't over though, as I needed to do something about the missing jacket...

No comments: