Monday, April 27, 2009

It's World Tapir Day today - what do you mean you didn't know?

Alright, I didn't know either, but my attention was drawn to the fact by a small piece in the Times. This is, in fact, the second World Tapir Day, intended to draw attention to these rather shy creatures. There was a remarkably cute picture in the Times, which I can't find online, so no link I'm afraid, but there is a webcam for you to take a look at.

Three tapir stories... I used to regularly visit the National Zoo in Washington DC and, just inside the entrance, was the tapir enclosure. Every time I visited, I would peer into the enclosure, hoping to see one, but never did, until one day I spotted one, partly hidden by the undergrowth. They really are very good at blending in.

In Emmen, in the Netherlands, I watched a tapir following her keeper around the enclosure. Suddenly, there was a lunge, and the tapir was off - with the keeper's sandwich... Finally, I once saw a tapir at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, being groomed by his keeper. Apparently, they enjoy regular brushing to keep their coats in good order.

So, happy World Tapir Day to you all and, if you see a tapir in the course of your activities, then give it a gentle stroke...

No comments: