Monday, April 20, 2009

In praise of Caroline Pidgeon AM



Caroline Pidgeon is someone I've known, and worked with, for a few years now. When I became active in local politics in East Dulwich, I watched her carve a swathe through Southwark politics and wondered where her ultimate ambitions lay. She was selected to fight the target constituency of Lambeth & Southwark in 2004 and came close to winning it, but didn't let that put her off, and I was delighted when she was successful via the top-up list last year.


One hope that I shared with many Liberal Democrat activists was that she would form better links with Local Parties so that we could campaign more effectively. Our Assembly Members are potentially a valuable resource in terms of raising issues, establishing a profile where we are otherwise weak, and providing a platform for issues of concerns to our voters across the city.

Featured on Liberal Democrat VoiceI'm delighted to say that she has had a real effect, using her transport portfolio to pass on information to Local Parties, challenging Mayor Boris on issues such as fares, raising issues passed to her by local campaigns, and generally doing the job we hoped she would do.

Today, I got an e-mail from her in my capacity as Local Party Secretary here in Brent, advising me of proposed changes to a local bus route. This allows me to pass it on to my Executive Committee, and hopefuly allow an exchange of information between our members in the area served by the route and the 'powers that be'. It isn't the first such e-mail that I've had, and is indicative of a genuine community campaigner.

Transport isn't a glamorous portfolio, yet it is key to the quality of life of Londoners. Most voters commute, or use the bus to go shopping, and there is a risk that we take it for granted. Having someone like Caroline, who is keen to voice our concerns and represent our interests, is incredibly valuable, and I hope that our members appreciate it.

So, thanks Caroline, and I'll be hearing from you again soon, no doubt...

No comments: