Sunday, May 27, 2007

Don't worry, liquid relief is on the way!

I am inordinately fond of all things Kiwi, so much so that, if my marriage had survived, we would have been emigrating to New Zealand this year. I have family in Auckland, have traveled widely on both islands, drink Monteith's beer by choice and take a day at the spa each year in Rototua. I zorb, bungy jump and find sheep fascinating in a 'gosh, they're so stupid' kind of way.

But of all of the parts of the country, I have a fondness for Otago above all. From the action and buzz of Queenstown to the solidity and Celtic charm of Dunedin via the friendly small towns and villages of the central valleys, I always feel welcome and at home. I even have reciprocal rights at the Dunedin Club, where farmers from the country and businessmen from the city gather to meet and drink.

So I was delighted to discover that the local brewery, Speight's, are planning to bring a pub to London. Yes, I mean bring, not build. A fully-functioning pub is being built in Dunedin, which will then be loaded onto a boat and brought to London via Samoa, Panama, the Bahamas and New York, before being placed in a site yet to be announced (or maybe even found!).

Whilst you look at the site, have a look at some of their adverts on the main Speight's website, they're some of the funniest beer ads that you'll ever see in my humble opinion...

Oh, and one other thing, I've discovered the biggest advantage of switching to Brent Liberal Democrats, the shop next to the constituency office sells Monteith's in six-packs!

No comments: