Monday, October 31, 2005

Just a typical Sunday in Bogota...

Sundays in Bogota are surprisingly pleasant. Someone in city government obviously got the crazy idea into their head that allowing people to reclaim the city was a good thing. And so, one of the main arteries in the centre of the city is dedicated to pedestrians and cyclists only. It works, and creates a really pleasant atmosphere for a gentle morning stroll. Clearly the locals agree, as the pavements are crowded with families walking their children and/or dogs or, as in one interesting case, their parrot, which was squawking away, sitting on a small wooden perch.

I took the opportunity to attend Eucharist at the cathedral, which was traditional in tone and style (I'm not the most devoted Catholic but I'm guilty about it...). The cathedral itself is remarkably well kept.

I even managed to get some shopping done, before heading back to the hotel to pack, have some time in the steam room and an hour of massage before my journey to the airport. So now I must leave you, waiting in Sao Paulo for my onward connection to Buenos Aires. Life's a bitch, isn't it?