Monday, October 24, 2005

In the Avenue of the Volcanoes!

Welcome to Quito, capital city of Ecuador! As you can see from the picture, the city is at the foot of one of the many huge volcanoes which form the primary geographical feature of the area.

Quito itself is at about 9,000 feet and getting oxygen into your lungs is not that easy. As long as you don't overextend yourself though, it is manageable.

I arrived here from Bogota, having flown from London to Buenos Aires via Washington on Wednesday, then Buenos Aires to Bogota via Sao Paulo on Saturday. The flights weren't too bad but it was good to reach South America.

Buenos Aires was unseasonably warm and sunny, temperatures reaching 32 degrees and I fell in love with the city all over again. The food is wonderful, especially the steaks, and add great wine, good beer and a lifestyle that is not too fast and not too slow, and one could see oneself living there quite happily. Add the football and the fact that if you don't like the government, it seems that you are perfectly within your rights to riot in the streets (not that I would ever do such a thing...), and what more could you ask for? The fact that I don't speak Spanish is a setback, I admit, but I'm sure that, given time, I could do something about that.

I wasn't anywhere near as impressed by Bogota. Perhaps when I go back and am not as tired, I'll see its better side...