Monday, January 18, 2016

Missing the point, and possibly missing the target, but still...

I've had a somewhat frustrating day at the office. And, given how it started, that wasn't a phrase I might have expected to type within twelve hours. But, you ask, why?

It has been a trying year in some ways, doing a job that, in truth, I might not be entirely suited to. Don't get me wrong, I can do it, and perform at an acceptable level in the process. But, perhaps, it isn't the most effective use of my skill set, and it runs somewhat contrary to my view of the world (a mostly optimistic one). That's how life is sometimes.

But, this morning started well. I was productive, focussed, almost inspired to achieve my goals. Indeed, I was making good progress until my manager wandered over and passed on some news. It was as if someone had let all of the air out of a child's balloon, for a missive had come from on high that more statistics and reporting were required. Why? Because our targets for the year are in jeopardy. The apparent solution? Take us away from our work to review why we might not meet them. And that, in a nutshell, explains why bureaucracy is a dirty word.

There has been one benefit, admittedly not one that is intended. I have developed a sneaking regard for my increasingly put-upon manager, whose desire to manage us as individuals is swamped by the increasingly volume of data that she is expected to gather, analyse and report. She appears to see her role as one of removing obstacles that stand between us and achievement, and of developing our skills so that we are more effective. It will, I fear, never catch on...

Featured on Liberal Democrat VoiceAs our year end approaches, the concept of crisis management mutates into managing to cause a crisis, as senior managers begin to realise that, if their targets aren't met, they will be criticised. And, as they have no direct impact over key statistical measures, it becomes time to look as though they are managing the situation. As the real problems are long-term in nature, and difficult to resolve, quick wins are sought, primarily by harassing more junior managers to focus their attention on specific goals, regardless of their relative importance.

Me, I'm just a minion, increasingly expected to follow specified, rigid process maps, complete vast amounts of records to vouch that I have done so and deliver more for less, regardless of the holistic cost. I have nobody to devolve responsibility to, but I do know that I can only achieve what I can with the resources available. I am, ironically, where the sophistry ends.

And, because I am a sanguine kind of person, I shrug my shoulders, gather and present my data, and go home at night without fretting about it or taking it personally. If I was in a position of authority, however, I might be wondering what effect I was having on those of a less resilient ilk...

No comments: