Saturday, January 09, 2016

And I would walk ten thousand steps, and I would walk ten thousand more...

Alright, so I've taken to the 'walking around with vague purpose' thing, courtesy of my Fitbit app, and yesterday encountered my first obstacle. The lifts in my office building failed on Thursday afternoon, and whilst walking downstairs is alright, if surprisingly hard on the knees, walking up to the ninth floor is a mite tough for those of us of a more walrusish figure.

I made it up there to start work, but with the lifts still out of order at lunchtime, the prospect of my regular early afternoon stroll was, how might I put it, uninviting. But needs must, and one shouldn't balk at the first fence, so I bravely plodded downstairs and walked around Ipswich at a modestly brisk pace.

Returning to the office, the lifts still weren't working, so I dragged my weary body back up nine flights of stairs, without stopping for breath and emerged triumphantly, if in need of oxygen, at the ninth floor landing, slightly pleased with myself.

But, another 'ten thousand step' day had been safely completed, and all was well...

Today offered a slightly different challenge, however, in that Ros had agreed to go to Bottisham, in East Cambridgeshire, to support our team there in their by-election campaign. As I am not allowed to actively campaign, I left Ros to do some canvassing and instead went for a nice stroll around the village. It's quite a large one, and so I was able to cover quite some distance, stopping occasionally to admire the architecture.

And so, a thirteenth consecutive day with ten thousand steps in has been negotiated. Apparently, I have now walked as far as emperor penguins do when heading for their breeding grounds...

No comments: