Friday, August 22, 2014

Whatever happened to the Interim Peers List... Redux

More than four years ago, I took a look back at the Party's concept of electing its nominees to the House of Lords, a concept that, to be honest, I had some scepticism about at the time, and to some extent still do.

I started with a look at the 1999 list, from which nine, including the woman who had subsequently become my wife, had been selected. Since then, Monroe Palmer - number 17 on that list - and Dee Doocey - number 38 - were elevated in the first Coalition list in November 2010 (the May 2010 list was Gordon Brown's dissolution list).

Next, the 2004 list. Two people, Robin Teverson and Celia Thomas, were preferred in 2006,  and Monroe was on that list too - at number 4 this time - whilst Dee had chosen not to run. However, there were three more names on that list who went on to get a peerage. Ben Stoneham, at number 12, was another on the November 2010 list, as was Jonathan Marks (number 28). And, loosely sandwiched between the two at number 24, was Julie Smith, whose peerage was announced earlier this month.

The 2006 list drew an even shorter straw, with only four appointments made during its lifetime - Sue Garden (number 7) got a thoroughly justified nomination in September 2007. However, four more women on that list - Dee Doocey (number 2 and already mentioned above), Kate Parminter (number 3), Olly Grender (number 9) and Meral Ece (number 21) - went to get peerages, Kate and Meral in May 2010, and Olly in August last year.


So, what has happened since then?...

3 comments:

Jennie Rigg said...

I suspect there are people on the list whom the party leadership very much do not want in the Lords. Might run for it myself so they can ignore me too... ;)

Mark Valladares said...

Jennie,

I often find myself wondering why people think that they merit a place in the Lords. You could argue that, in some cases, it's about a massive sense of entitlement, rather than about merit. In other cases, it's about being something rather than doing something.

Whereas in your case, you're just a troublemaker... :))

Jennie Rigg said...

Oh it's definitely about doing something, in my case. Well, several things.

1, Using my legal training to scrutinise legislation and hopefully sort out some of the bloody awful drafting that comes out of the commons.
2, Playing the More Yorkshirer Than Thou game with Shutty
3, Making friends with Norman Tebbit, because I'm sure he'd LOVE me.