Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Building a better walrus, one invisible cheese sandwich at a time...

I have remarked in the past that I am more walrus than gazelle, and those of you who know me (and are honest), will accept that this is true. And whilst I like walruses (and what's not to like?), being more gazelle-like is likely to enhance the quality of my life. Well. probably, anyway.

Not Ros, and not actually me. But isn't he cute?
And so, with more than a touch of apprehension, I have embarked on a quest to change from walrus to, if not gazelle, then at least something slightly smaller and more streamlined.

I started with a diet which, I must admit, has gone well. I have shown rather more discipline than I had feared would be the case, and have lost a quite acceptable amount of weight in just nine weeks. Indeed, I have lost the amount that I promised Ros that I would lose by Christmas already.

Alright, it has not been without sacrifice. I have given up quite a lot of red meat, most of the cheese in my diet and much of the alcohol that I might otherwise consume. I have found myself scanning menus for things that are less damaging, even though they might not be quite my first choice. It has, in short, not entirely been fun.

I have taken to walking during my lunch break, something which is less trying because I don't actually eat lunch generally anyway. When in London, I set off from the training centre in random directions to see what I can find - it's been rather interesting so far.

And now, in the most unexpected step yet, I've joined a gym, something which will bring some joy to my father. I've even gone, which is nice, and I'll write about that before very long.

The effect has been interesting. I have gained a little more confidence, and a touch more energy, and whilst I am no more than a slightly more svelte walrus so far, my clothes are looser and my pace a little faster.

I do kind of miss the cheese sandwiches though...

2 comments:

Jennie Rigg said...

Mmmmmm cheese.

*has been on diet since May*

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I shouldn't have bought you all of that specialty, italian wine cheese for your birthday.
:(
Was it delicious though?
Natasha and I spent over twenty minutes sampling the stuff before buying.
:)
Regards,
Kirk