Tuesday, November 05, 2013

And suddenly, it went dark... Day 3

It was beginning to get a mite depressing as another day dawned without power. So, I rang UK Power Networks to find out what the latest news was and, to my surprise, I got through almost immediately.

"I'm sorry, Mr Valladares,", said another very polite operator, "but we don't really know when someone will get to your village. I'll get back to you when I have some more information.". Luckily, I'm a fairly patient soul, so I left it another three hours before trying again.

This time, I was a little more assertive, noting that, in a village without mains gas, getting us back on line was perhaps more of a priority. I noted that, whilst it was very nice that they had opened three drop-in centres for those without heat or hot water, placing them all at least thirteen miles from a village which, in any event, had little way of finding out that they even existed, wasn't very useful.

An hour and a half later, my mobile rang. "I understand that you contacted the Red Cross, Mr Valladares.", said a female voice. "I don't think so,", I replied, "but what can I do for you?". The woman explained that they would be sending volunteers to the village, in an effort to help, in particular, the more vulnerable members of the community. In a spirit of helpfulness, I gave them the address of our Parish Council chair, and directions to his front door.

Two hours after that;
Things were beginning to look up, especially when word reached me that engineers had just arrived in the village as darkness fell.

When I got home, however, my hopes of light appeared to be dashed. The engineers had apparently left after just half an hour or so, and the village was still dark, with only the occasional flicker of light from a candle to break the gloom. And when, an hour later, it was announced that a drop-in centre would arrive in Creeting St Peter at nine the next morning, I drew the obvious conclusion.

At eleven o'clock, with the wood fire banked and still giving off heat, I curled up on the sofa under a duvet and fell asleep.

My slumber was disturbed by a bright light and the sound of people talking. The television had sprung into life, and I checked the time - 11.45 p.m. I turned the television off and went back to sleep. The nightmare was over...

No comments: