Saturday, October 27, 2012

Google Affiliate Ads - is this a good thing?

I note that, having written my most recent blog posting, I am being invited to use Google Affiliate Ads in the course of my blogging. And, as I do have advertising on this blog, the potential for earning money which might, in some really small way, be used for fun (or Liberal Democrat stuff, which may or may not be the same thing), is one that I have a duty to explore.

So, how does this work? As I understand it, I write a blog entry, like this one. When I've finished, I look to the right hand side of the screen, where there is a gadget marked "Advertise products". I am then presented with a set of icons, from which I choose one. As I type this, I'm being offered;
  • pencils
  • printer
  • camera
  • bike
  • shoes
  • blender
I presume that I should pick one that is vaguely appropriate to the posting or, perhaps, something that is likely to appeal to Liberal Democrats, or my readers, or both.  A blender, perhaps, as a number of my friends like to cook. Or, perhaps I should pick something that reflects me. That would be pencils, I guess (hmmmm... stationery...).

Let's stick with the blender. I press 'search' and a list of products appears. I can then add a link, an image, or a full ad. The KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Blender in onyx black sounds vaguely appealing, so let's pick 'full ad'.



And an ad appears in the post. It's a bit inconvenient, as it appears where I stopped typing, so let's think that through and try again... That's better.

So, let's see how it works, and what you, dear reader, make of it...

2 comments:

Jennie Rigg said...

I approve of this form of advertising because it comes through on my feedreader as a simple black square, even when I DON'T have adblock enabled... ;)

Your Capcha, on the other hand, gets increasingly illegible

* squints *

I /think/ that's it...

Mark Valladares said...

I have Capcha? I hate Capcha - I'll have to do something about that...