Sunday, July 26, 2009

Being a Parish Councillor - the Earth isn't trembling at my passing...

Lib Dem Blogs is full of commentary on local issues by local councillors, and I have to admit that I don't read much of it. Most of it is relevant to a particular, geographically-based audience, and as I don't live in any of these places, news of bus routes, of bin-emptying rosters or of the cut and thrust of retail politics. It's often well written, very useful if you're part of that audience, and exactly what I'd hope to find if I was a voter on their patch.

On the other hand, some of them write entertainingly on non-specific issues - what it's like to be a new councillor, the generalities of life as an elected tribune of the people - and these I find fascinating.

Of course, what all of these people have in common is that they're rather higher in the councillor food chain than I am, as a humble Parish Councillor. They have some real influence, in many cases actual power. It all seems to be terribly serious, and slightly daunting, especially for someone who doesn't really like retail politics. Heavens, I wasn't even elected - we don't really do elections at Parish level, and Creeting St Peter is no exception in that sense.

What this means is the life of a Parish Councillor in a place like Creeting St Peter isn't exciting in a macro-political sense. Political groupings are frowned on, so you don't really have opposition in an organised sense, and most issues are settled upon by consensus. And with a precept of £4,200 - some £22.11 per voter - we're unlikely to have any serious issues regarding waste of taxpayer funds.

So, whilst I intend to continue to blog about my activities as an elected member of the lowest tier of government, I have to issue a minutiae warning - if only because everything we do is at that kind of level...

No comments: