Saturday, April 01, 2006

The campaign starts here...

My nomination papers should be signed and submitted shortly, so I ought to declare my candidacy now in the Liberal Democrat interest for Village ward in the London Borough of Southwark.

Village ward is one of the nicer parts of London, comprising of the heart of Dulwich Village. At the moment, it is a split ward, one Labour, two Conservative but we did quite well there in the General Election so whilst a victory appears unlikely, I want to see how well we can do against our Conservative and Labour opponents. I hope that Labour's campaign in Village is rather more positive than their effort in East Dulwich so far.

Curiously, Village ward is a contest between two American Democrats, the incumbent Labour councillor (Michelle Pierce) and her Conservative wannabe replacement (Robin Crookshank Hilton).

2 comments:

Niles said...

Time to put a full election imprint on your blog?

Mark Valladares said...

Angus,

I didn't insult her, or pagans, at all (it's a direct quote from a website). I tend to think that it's a rather quirky match for our local Conservatives but it is, after all, their right to choose someone with a past which may not have been disclosed.

Given that I have some fairly serious reservations about organised religion, I tend to the view that whilst I respect the right of any individual to pratcice the religion of their choice (subject to the normal societal boundaries), I see no reason why religion itself shouldn't be subject to criticism, satire or other legitimate forms of comment.