Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Building a better walrus - time for phase 2...

Nearly two years ago, my stepson and his lovely fiancée got married. This meant that I would have to wear a suit and, having concluded that having a similar build to that of a walrus would make that less than enjoyable, I concluded that shedding some weight was necessary. The target I set myself was to lose twenty-eight pounds, or thirteen kilograms, and by dint of walking ten thousand steps a day (and often more) and cutting my calorie intake, I made it with a bit to spare.

And yes, I was still carrying a lot more weight than might have met with the approval of the medical profession, but I was in much better shape. By last summer, and our trip to Svalbard, I’d actually lost twenty-one kilograms - about forty-six pounds, and was, if not sprightly, then comfortably mobile enough to climb in and out of zodiacs, hike across the barren wilderness and outrun at least one other member of our party (I assumed that a polar bear would eat the easiest of us to catch and then concentrate on that, leaving me to get away).

Since then, unfortunately, I took my foot off of the pedal a bit. I was still walking at least ten thousand steps a day, but the diet was rather more haphazard. The pounds were slowly creeping back on.

In Sofia, I decided that enough was enough, and I’ve climbed back on the “diet and exercise horse”. Calorie counting is in, extra steps are being walked, and I’m broadly back where I was this time last year. And I have seen a future.

Now, despite the fact that I am still somewhat heavier than I ought to be, my health is remarkably good, as demonstrated today during my work-organised health check. Blood pressure is well-nigh perfect, blood sugar level is almost dead centre of the recommended range (given my genetic risk of Type 2 diabetes, that’s very welcome) and my cholesterol level is far better than my love of cheese might suggest.

Really, my only significant risk factor is those extra pounds.

So, time for phase 2 of the “Building a Better Walrus” programme, I think. My target date this time is my birthday, and my aim is to lose ten kilograms from my weight after Sofia. It’s an achievable target, albeit a stretching one, and it would leave me lighter than I’ve been for some years. It would also offer an excuse to go shopping, and I’ve seen a jacket that would be a suitable reward.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye...

No comments: