Monday, April 02, 2018

Welcome to Moldova - not many hurt so far...

Alright, so I've arrived. It isn't quite what I expected, but I'm here, which is good enough, I guess.

Here is Chişinău, the capital of Moldova, and whilst it is fair to say that it isn't exactly setting the tourism industry alight - I couldn't actually find a guide book - I'm hoping to have some interesting experiences whilst I am here.

And it is an interesting place, with a rather unfortunate schizophrenia for such a small, impoverished country. Part of it believes that it is another country altogether, which would like to reunite with Russia (with which it has no border), part of it wants to reunite with Romania, and another minority kind of wants to be independent but has settled for a devolved administration which covers a patchwork of enclaves in the south of the country. There are those who are proud to be Moldovan though, and I may meet some whilst I'm in town.

Moldova does work, after a fashion, although it has suffered for its choices - turning towards the West and, in particular, the European Union, caused Russia to reduce imports from the country's agricultural sector to virtually nothing. Given that Russia was Moldova's major export market, this was disastrous for the economy. Oh, and yes, the banking crisis when the equivalent of one-eighth of annual GDP was stolen by people close to the top of Moldovan society.

And, of course, the Transnistria problem makes it impossible for Moldova to join the European Union - once Cyprus, twice shy.

So, much to consider and to explore. It won't be by train though. Moldova has railways, but passengers seem to be a low priority...

No comments: