Saturday, March 12, 2016

Time to reach for my trusty Party Constitution...

I received an unexpected e-mail the other day, from our Regional Chair, Stephen Robinson. "The Region has to nominate someone to be on English Appeals Panel. You would seem like an obvious candidate and so I wondered if you would be willing to be nominated?".

I thought for about a millisecond and replied, "I would be honoured - count me in!".

And so, it seems, I am to be a member of the 'secret society' that is the Appeals Panel for England. Except, of course, that it is no such thing, it's just that it is legitimately low-key - how visible do you want your 'judiciary' to be, after all? I would argue that what the Party needs is accountability, proper justification and an adherence to both the word and the spirit of the Constitution. And that's what I'll aim to deliver, as and when I am called upon.

So, how does one qualify to be a member of the Appeals Panel for England? Well, you can't be a Parliamentary candidate, or a member of the English Council Executive. You can't be an MP or and MEP, you can't be a Party employee, and you can't be a member of the English Candidates Committee. Luckily, I am none of these things and, for the most part, wouldn't want to be even if given a free ride to become one.


English Council elect three members of the Federal Appeals Panel, all of whom are members of the Appeals Panel for England as of right - they also usually chair any constituted panel convened to hear a specific appeal - and they are joined by a nominee from each of the Regional Parties, which is where I come in. The appointment is for five years, with the option to renew once, unless infirmity, death or inability to perform the duties of the role intervenes.


And so, it seems to me that reading the Party's Constitution might just be a good idea, as well as finding time to take the designated unconscious bias course that the Party offers. Interestingly, my gallant employer insists that I take one too - I passed, you'll be pleased to know - so it will be interesting to 'compare and contrast'. I'm also wondering if there is scope to analyse some of the Appeals Panel's recent rulings to gain a sense of the type of issues it more often deals with, and explore those in context.


So, much to dwell on. But first, back to Conference...

No comments: