Tuesday, May 26, 2015

To the Arctic Circle and beyond: Days 3/4 - and just when you're about to give up hope...

So, we had returned to Suffolk after the disappointment of having our trip cancelled and, out of curiosity, I had a look at the Hurtigruten website to see if they had availability for the voyage on the Saturday out of Bergen. They did, a surprising amount of availability.

I called my new friend at Hurtigruten, Andy, the Senior VIP Consultant (we're not VIP's, but I think they realised that they had screwed up). I said to him, "I see that you have availability for Saturday. Is there any chance that we could cut a deal so that we get one. I can get us to Bergen in time if necessary.". He responded favourably, although he would have to put it to management the next morning.

It was agreed that I would call the next morning...

Gatwick to Bergen, surprisingly reasonably...
Ros was in Harwich, attending a board meeting, when I rang Andy again. "Good news!", he said, "Yes, we can put you on the Saturday sailing, we'll give you your journey at the original price plus a 20% discount.". That was good enough, and so I booked new flights to Bergen for the next morning, rearranged our original flights home and organised new hotels. And then, I texted Ros to let her know that we were back on.

Down to London that evening - we hadn't unpacked, which made life easier - we anticipated, slightly wearily, the journey ahead...

No comments: