Thursday, March 13, 2014

An overnight in the heart of Europe

Now that I have reason to come to Brussels from time to time, I have a hotel that I prefer, in a neighbourhood that I like, the Holiday Inn Brussels-Schuman. And so, with an overnight stop, it made sense to book a night there.

The hotel is just off the Schuman rondpoint, and is very convenient for the 'EU Zone' to the east of the centre of Brussels, but it is also close to Place Jourdan, home to Maison Antoine, allegedly the best frites stand in the city, and a number of nice bars and restaurants.

Home of the beast? I think not...
I also like the fact that transport links are good - Schuman itself is on the mainline between Brussels and Luxembourg, two metro lines and a slew of useful bus routes - and you can, if you're so inclined, walk into the centre.

I did need dinner though, and found a local brasserie, where I had some brown shrimp croquettes followed by the rabbit in gueuze, washed down with a Tripel Westmalle - all very nice. And then it was back to the hotel for a good night's sleep.

This morning, the sun is shining brightly, the sky is blue, there's not a cloud to spoil the view. And with the benefits of a decent, if continental, breakfast, I'm off again. I've made it from Schuman to Brussels Noord, which is where I am now, and my next leg is by ICE train to Cologne. This should be good...

No comments: