Sunday, September 22, 2013

In praise of... the Abbeygate Picturehouse, Bury St Edmunds

I may have remarked in the past about the difference between the cultural life of Suffolk and that of London, where I lived for so many years. In order to have one here, I have to be more organised, more disciplined, if you will, as there obviously isn't the range of opportunities so taken for granted in a big city. Luckily, as my sense of organisation or discipline is not ideal, Ros tends to step into the breach from time to time.

And so, this morning, we set off from Needham Market by train for Bury St Edmunds, to see the new release from Beeban Kidron, "InRealLives", a documentary about the internet, its effects on young people and the loss of privacy that impacts upon all of us. I'll deal with the film later though...

I'd not been to the Picturehouse before, and was surprised to find it almost lurking behind a rather attractive cafe-restaurant. We obtained our tickets from the bar, and went upstairs to what turned out to be almost a screening room rather than a 'real' cinema, seating about seventy, with plush chairs with drink holders and, between some seats, a small shelf for popcorn and the like. Establishing that, yes, you can bring beer into the cinema, I popped out for a pint of the old Cannon Brewery's Best Bitter for me, plus some sweet popcorn, before settling into my seat for the entertainment to come.

Film over, I headed downstairs to discover that the restaurant was still open, allowing us to have a late lunch and still make our train home. The sharing platter was very good, although my eye was drawn to their Sunday brunch offer of Eggs Benedict (in various styles), or open omelettes plus a ticket for the first movie showing for £13.50 (20% off for members). They even have 'build your own' burgers, with a range of carnivore (plus one vegetarian) options.

Ros and I were both impressed, and I suspect that we might be back from time to time...

No comments: