Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Cincinnati, the gift that keeps on giving...

As a memorial to my beloved red and white cat, Cincinnati, I planted my only contribution to our garden, a redcurrant bush, two years ago. Last year, it did bear fruit, although not very much, and the birds loved them. As a result, I wasn't expecting very much this year.

Cincinnati just after planting
However, it appears to have been a pretty good year for redcurrants, and despite the predations of caterpillars, we've had a good harvest this year, predominantly down to the efforts of Ros, whose patience in picking the caterpillars off with a pair of tweezers, and timely harvesting, has meant that I've eaten a surprising number this year. Indeed, there are some in the fridge as I write this.

Redcurrants aren't particularly sweet, and as Ros doesn't care for them much, I get to eat all of them, which is good for me (five a day and all), and is a useful and interesting addition to my diet.

I did offer some to our plumber, who is working on our kitchen this week. He did seem to like them, and suggested that his wife might have him plant a bush or two.

Think of it as my wildlife project for the week...

No comments: