Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Come in number 54, your time is up!

So, I have made it to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, my 54th country visited, dragged my suitcase the short distance to my hotel, and am now at a Lonely Planet recommended restaurant in the Lower Town, with veal in my near future.

A very pleasant train journey, with some of the finest scenery that Germany, Austria and Slovenia have to offer, with a little border crossing drama to top the experience at Savski Marof. Add to that quite respectable restaurant car food, and Paulaner weissbier at €2.90 for a half-litre, and a good time was had.

My hotel has come as a bit of a surprise. The Palace Hotel was originally opened in 1907, and the lobby hasn't apparently changed much since then - very Austro-Hungarian. But on entering my room, it appears that I may have been slightly upgraded. The bedroom is large, and overlooks the square outside the hotel, the bathroom is vast, with two sinks, an enormous bathtub and enough space for a football team to change in. And then I found the corridor... at the end of which is a lounge which seats six and a meeting table which seats another six.

It's only a pity that I leave again tomorrow morning...

No comments: