Friday, February 04, 2011

Job losses make civil servants unhappy. Is that a bear I see in the woods?

It has to be said that, occasionally, the word 'analysis' is abused to the point of torture, and I therefore have to bring your attention, gentle reader, to the 'effort' produced by the Institute for Government, headed by Andrew Adonis. This five page document, including three pages of charts, includes a few interesting statements, but barely scratches the surface of what is happening. So, I should take a closer look...

Interestingly, if you analyse the results by Department, you'll notice that one of them, HM Revenue & Customs, performs consistently badly, a point thought to be unworthy of recognition by the boffins at the Institute for Government. Here's the data of HMRC's ranking on each of the six charts;

Employee engagement index - 17th (out of seventeen)
I have a clear understanding of my organisation's purpose - 16th
I have a clear understanding of my organisation's objectives - 15th
I believe that the Board have a clear vision for the future of my organisation - 17th
I am able to acces the right learning and development opportunities when I need to - 13th
When changes are made in my department they are usually for the better - 17th

I leave it to others to conclude as to whether such cynicism and despair is a good thing in an organisation that brings in more than £400 billion per annum.

The Department for International Development sounds like a nice place to work though...

No comments: