Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 4 of Niceness - an intimate dinner for 22

I attend a good number of dinners in my current incarnation, and tonight I was lucky enough to find myself in Thetford, just over the border in Norfolk, for the Mid and South West Norfolk constituency dinner. There was the promise of pork, this time in a mild mustard cream sauce, and a chance to meet some new people.

I enjoy these events, especially as people go out of their way to be welcoming. The food is usually good, and this evening was no exception - homemade vegetable soup, the pork, lemon meringue pie, coffee and chocolate coated almonds. The conversation was entertaining, as we discussed how to deal with altitude sickness and how to get your laundry done in La Paz. I got to hear a great speech from the star turn and even won a raffle prize, a bottle of Slovak slivovitz, which I will doubtless treasure in the years to come.

Next week, I'll be at a fundraising dinner for the North West Region in Chorlton cum Hardy, the presumed brother of the friendly dragon who got on so well with the Wheelies. So I part with the words, "Goodbye, little old lady!".

No comments: