Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Pachyderm in bureaucrat-induced non-rampage!

Most people with Indian blood in their veins love elephants, or as the press here refer to them in their curiously old-fashioned manner, pachyderms. I am no exception to that rule so today was an opportunity to meet an elephant and, more importantly, introduce Ros to one for the first time.

I had arranged a sightseeing trip to an organic spice plantation in central Goa, as I know that Ros loves flora and cooking, in the knowledge that the farm has elephants. I made sure that I had packed two large apples and a camera, and we set off with our driver towards the town of Ponda.

The tour of the plantation was very interesting, and we both learned a surprising amount about the various spices and fruits to be found. However, for me, the highlight was our meeting with Ganga, a female pachyderm, weighing five tons. Asking the mahout for permission, I fed Ganga an apple, stroking her trunk and forehead whilst Ros looked on. I then passed Ros the other apple so that she could feed Ganga too and touch her leathery hide.

Asiatic elephants, once trained, are wonderfully placid, gentle creatures. Just don't try this with African elephants...

No comments: