Friday, January 27, 2006

Gallantry in the face of the enemy

I managed to catch 'Question Time' last night and was surprised to see Simon Hughes there. I know that he was scheduled to take part but I had expected him to withdraw given the sort of day he had experienced, an act which most people would have understood and accepted.

So I was impressed to see him attend and speak cogently on his own situation, especially given the presence of John Redwood, whose sanctimonious attitude made me want to hurl, sitting next to him. And that woman from the Institute for Ideas... what is she on? It was reassuring to note that Simon drew as much applause for his various comments as any other panellist, a sign perhaps that the impact of his 'outing' by the Sun will be short-lived and insignificant.

I'm still not supporting him for the leadership but will freely admit that I was impressed by his approach. Good luck, Simon, and God bless...

1 comment:

Tristan said...

I didn't see it all, but that woman... she was complaining about the LibDems civil liberties record being bad. The mind boggles (unless she's fallen for the New Labour new-speak)